Monday, October 17, 2022

Portland, Maine...

Another foggy day in paradise but I made lemonade out of the lemons!   The first couple of what I thought were lighthouses can be seen in my early fogged out photos…  Not sure what I captured.  The most impressive lighthouse in the area and the one that is best known is the Portland Head Lighthouse at Fort Williams Park and the fog lifted in time to get a number of photos.  We also sailed by the Spring Point Ledge and Bug Light lighthouses.  Portland is an old sea coast town 100 miles north of Boston and a very walkable city.  I visited the tourist bureau for walking tours and they provided me with the maps, so I combined the Architectural Wonders and Historical Figures yours for a 9-mile stroll.  During this walk I came upon a statue of John Ford, the award-winning director of the Grapes of Wrath and the home of Henry Wadsworth-Longfellow’s the renowned author.  Tradition meets modern charm at the Old Port, where a cobblestone street lined with shops sits on the water's edge. The center of the city, is busy while it has maintained the feel of old New England. There are some beautiful old homes and buildings along Congress Street like the Portland City Hall, the Time and Temperance Building and the iconic Victoria Mansion.  From Commercial Street there are breathtaking views of the harbor and Portland's skyline…Bug Light Park lies across the Harbor…It is named after a nearby lighthouse that was so small it was nicknamed "the bug light." From this area I was also able to see Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse built in 1897 is a caisson-style light station (the only one in the United States).  Excited to score at least 3 lighthouses today plus, as a bonus, I could see two of them by land and sea…  Great day in Portland.  Looking forward to Boston tomorrow, I’ll be having a reunion with one of my great friends and classmate from the Air Force Academy.  Should be great fun!!






















































































































No comments:

Post a Comment