Wednesday, October 26, 2022

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I.

I got up very early this morning to take photos as we sailed into Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas…Big Surprise!!    I could tell by the clouds that we might be in for some showers today.  I checked my weather App and it looked ugly!  We arrived, right on time, at the piers at Havensight, the closest cruise port to downtown Charlotte Amalie. I was off the ship, first thing, as soon as it cleared and walked to downtown before the storms got too bad!  It was again in awe of the revitalized harbor front walkway to downtown, known as the Veterans Drive, the improvements are just phenomenal, makes the walk into town so much more pleasant. On the way to town, I passed Fort Christian, built by the Danes between 1672-1680, is the oldest building on St. Thomas. Charlotte Amalie is a busy, colorful town that is a host to Danish colonial architecture. I enjoyed walking in the historical district where most of the island’s ancient 17th-century buildings are found when I wasn’t taking cover from another thunderstorm. St. Thomas is famous for its duty-free shopping, and I walked the main street and the alleyways looking shopping opportunities. On the return to the ship, the heavens opened up, big time...  I took shelter until it diminished somewhat and continued my walk. I then looked at all the shops in Havensight just in case there was something there I desperately needed. The rest of the day was spent in the Retreat between downpours, finally giving up and heading to the cabin. Just a big ugly rainy day in paradise, despite it all, I enjoyed the day…



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment