Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

 It was an exciting time to be able to revisit Prince Edward Island…  We have not been able to visit here on the Nieuw Statendam because of all the hurricane Fiona damage that occurred here a few weeks back.  As a result, I made sure I was up very early and captured a lot of photos of Blockhouse Point Lighthouse on the sail into Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. This is my third visit to PEI, the original home of my maternal grandfather before he immigrated to the United States and it’s always special...  Today, I focused exploring the city of Charlottetown.  On our previous visits we had a great opportunity to explore the island.  I started with walking the shoreline along the boardwalk until I reached the Beaconsfield Historic House and the Government House of Prince Edward Island - which today serves as the home of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. Then I walked along the “walking tour” map provided by the Tourist Information Office, checking out the historic buildings, destruction in the aftermath of Fiona and just beautiful homes and buildings around the city.   My last big visit was at St. Dunstan Basilica. I walked Great George St. known for the evolution of architecture displayed here with its beautifully preserved Georgian architecture.   I walked around the harbor to Peakes Quay and back to the ship. I thoroughly enjoyed my time in PEI, the Birthplace of Confederation - Canada was born here. From the sights to the attractions, the people, and because it simply exists – Prince Edward Island is amazingly beautiful.



























































































































No comments:

Post a Comment