Saturday, October 9, 2021

Loving San Diego and ready for the adventure to begin.....

 The last time I was on a Holland America Line Ship was March 20th, 2020.  Ann, Cathy & I debarked the Volendam in Fort Lauderdale, finishing up just a wee bit early our Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage due to the COVID-19 Pandemic.  It was still in the early days of the pandemic and we knew very little of what lay ahead as we made our way driving north to make it safely home.  It was a very scary drive; we were sanitizing every thing we came in contact with along the way.  It’s probably the first time all those gasoline pumps had a complete sanitization.  Well, a lot of time has passed, we all handled the pandemic in our own way, trying to make sense of a very uncertain future.  I decided to make it as positive of an experience as possible, doing constructive projects around the house, walking 10 miles a day or whatever I could to bring a ray of sunshine into a world that had gone dark in many ways.  Ann, Cathy and I planned many long journeys only to have them discarded and we would start anew…  It brought us allot of positive energy in planning for the future.  The travel plans that begin tomorrow for me on the Koningsdam is probably the 8th generation of voyage planning.  This upcoming voyage which will have us on three ships, the Koningsdam, Zuiderdam and Rotterdam is what I would call my risk mitigation voyage, everyone vaccinated, not too far from the USA and on Holland America Line which has proven that they have the protocols to make this return to cruising work.  I’ve gone on way too long, tomorrow is a new day and I am very excited to get back with my Holland America Family and believe me, we are family….  I’ve included a few photos after my arrival last night and on my walk about today…  I love San Diego, beautiful place…  I’m also really looking forward to seeing my old friend David Allen from Shore Operations, we met years ago after he followed the blog for a long time.  Great guy, the Scott Sisters and I look forward to seeing him back to doing what he does so well….  So, one more night’s sleep and we’re off to enjoying life at sea on Holland America Line again…





























6 comments:

  1. Thank you ...thank you for sharing your travels. I am not yet able to return to cruising (our planned trip next March is going to be put off - first grandchild due then!) but we hope to return by the end of 2022 or early 2023. Until then, I will enjoy the world through your lens. Bon voyage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have my ticket for the Journey! Another sign we are getting on the other side of this dark period. Have a great time and we are all with you as you bring us your journey! Thanks in advance for doing the blog and all the pictures, it helps in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff, Glad you are off to a good start and arrived in San Diego safely. It is a wonderful city As I write you are probably already on board and anxious to be underway. Bon Voyage. Will be watching the Port cam for your departure tonight. Thanks for continuing your blog, it's so enjoyable.
    BVH- Groton, CT

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited to be following your journey. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. https://www.nbcsandiego.com/videos/holland-america-cruise-ship-sets-sail-from-san-diego-for-first-time-in-19-months/2740595/
    In case you haven’t seen this yet. You look great and so much thinner. Enjoy yourself and keep on walking. Stu

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeff, so glad you arrived safely in San Diego. You had to be so excited that I don't know how you slept for the past couple of weeks. After so many changes to your itinerary....BON VOYAGE! We will all be looking forward to your blog with anticipation.....

    ReplyDelete