Saturday, September 23, 2023

Quebec City, Quebec, Canada...

Another early morning on the forward deck, capturing the scenery along the St. Lawrence River on our way into Quebec City. The views of Quebec City with the Château Frontenac dominating the cityscape was simply breathtaking…  I may have over done the sail in photos of the city but I just loved it that much!  Upon arrival at Quebec City, I walked from the ship through Old Quebec, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, and admired the view from every angle.  For all its 400 years of incredible history, it’s still very much alive. Full of charming little streets and local shops, Old Québec is best visited on foot. I hiked up to the upper city, where the and Château Frontenac resides along a boardwalk.   The Château Frontenac Hotel, Québec City’s most famous landmark is also the most photographed hotel in the world. I certainly added to that today! Walking past the Château Frontenac Hotel, I took a stroll along Dufferin Terrace for a magnificent view of the St. Lawrence River and Château Frontenac. I followed the terrace to the end and climbed many flights of stairs up to the Plains of Abraham. On September 13, 1759, the giant urban park ) known as the Plains of Abraham was the site of the famous Battle of Québec, the confrontation that decided Canada’s fate when the French lost the city to the British. I decided to tour the Citadel but, unfortunately, I was an hour too early for the opening. I proceeded to make my way back towards Old Quebec walking along the walls of the Citadel de Québec. The Citadel is on the the top of the famous Cap Diamant where it was the biggest British fortress in North America. Built by the British between 1820 and 1850 to defend the city. Instead of retracing my steps back along the Dufferin Terrace I basically meandered my way through the Old Town admiring many of the old picturesque buildings and restaurants with lush flowerboxes in the windows and brightly colored shutters. Starting my descent to the lower old Quebec I again came upon Rue du Petit‑Champlain, a narrow cobblestone street with colorful signs and quaint shops and neck breaking steps. It is the most photographed street in Québec City’s historic sector. I stopped at Place-Royale to visit the Notre Dame de Victoria church before making my way back to the ship. Another day with over 20,000 steps...  yeah! The sun was out so I sat for a while by the pool relaxing after an amazing day in Quebec City.  It is a beautiful city and the weather treated me nicely. Another grand day on the Zaandam… Tomorrow we sail to Montreal where the famous Scott Sisters join the Zaandam, looking forward to seeing them again.

































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment