Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada...

It’s always such a beautiful sail into the port of Charlottetown, worthy of getting my butt out of bed...  The major with the highlight is always the Block Island Lighthouse. The lighting wasn’t the best this morning but, I’ll take what I can get…  I decided to do a walkabout around town today before having my massage at 2:30. I figured I get most of my exercise out of the way early.  I started my walkabout walking along the waterfront with a goal of heading toward the Government House and catching the sights along the way.  I walked through the Confederation Landing Park around the harbor to Peake’s Wharf, the waterfront boardwalk. I looked in a few shops before walking to Water Street with its beautifully preserved Georgian architecture. Cutting through the PEI Regiment Armory and Museum grounds I rejoined the waterfront boardwalk checking out the Irish Settlers Monument.  This memorial honors the Island’s early Irish immigrants and is modeled after the High Cross of Moone in Ireland. Its circular floor has 32 flagstones, originally imported from each of the Irish counties where the Island settlers originated. Since my Irish Grandfather was born here in P.E.I, I have a special feeling for this monument…  Walking along, I passing the Culinary Institute of Canada, taking a stroll along Havilland and West Streets passing a number of exquisite Victorian homes. I passed the Beaconsfield Historic House, a great example of Victorian architecture with historic tales about Charlottetown.  Continuing my trek along the boardwalk, I headed for the Governor’s House across the street…  The gate was open with a sign saying pedestrians are welcome to walk the grounds, so I walked up to the Fanningbank Government House; home of PEI’s Lieutenant Governor. I also explored the gardens which we previously had inadvertently passed up.  From there, I just meandered throughout the city, checking out St. Dunstan’s Basilica along the way.  From there, I continued meandering back to the ship, to rest up for my massage…  What a wonderful day!!!!













































































































No comments:

Post a Comment