Thursday, December 22, 2022

Willemstad, Curaçao

Back in one of my favorite islands but alas, without our friends Art and Ellen to visit.  It’s a sad day indeed…  I miss them already! They are currently sailing on a Holland America ship for Christmas. After the holidays, they will be joining the 2023 Grand World Voyage, hope it’s the best one yet!!!  I was out bright and early for sail-in and for some reason, it took a lot of extra time for the ship to be cleared today…. I believe we had the same issues with the local authorities the last time we visited.  I had hoped to have a quick hello to an old friend, Vincent van Zijderveld, formerly a Staff Captain with Holland America Line (a victim of the pandemic), he is the Captain of the World Explorer which was in port today.  When I contacted him, they were getting ready for crew drills, next time…I decided to focus on capturing Curaçao’s street art and murals today. Willemstad art can be found mainly in the neighborhoods of Punda, and Otrobanda, which are within walking distance of the ship. I started my tour in Otrobando district, this neighborhood has been renovated from an impoverished state and decorated with lovely murals.  From here I crossed the Queen Emma Bridge entering the district of Willemstad known as Punda. Most of the Punda artworks are hidden in small alleys…it is like a sport to find the murals. I met Cathy in Punda and left her to continue her shopping. On my way back to the ship I decided to take a second tour around Otrobanda. We spent the afternoon in the Retreat and had a pleasant visit from the Captain Eric and his wife Farah. Another day in paradise…




































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment