Friday, December 2, 2022

Freeport, The Bahamas...

I went out as we sailed into Freeport, wasn’t quite sure what to expect, last time I was here was in 2006.  I saw we were accompanied by the Carnival Legend, already docked as we sailed towards Freeport.  The next noteworthy thing was the presence of the Zuiderdam.  Love that ship!  Once we were docked and cleared, Cathy and I got off the ship with very low expectations. Truthfully, there is nothing to do or see right outside the exit gates of the cruise port and the city of Freeport is not within walking distance. The cruise terminal is on a large open area with different shops and markets stalls selling the typical Caribbean souvenirs. We maybe spent an hour on shore before returning to the retreat…The weather was much better than predicted, sunny, breezy but nice! Freeport is not a common stop for Holland America ships unless they are in dry dock. This itinerary change was due to Key West banning larger passenger ships carrying more than 1500 passengers from docking. In 2004 and 2006, I visited Freeport in my last blog entry, I proclaimed that “Freeport Sucks” and here it is 16 years later and my opinion has not wavered. Freeports’ harbor doubles up as a ship repair, restocking, and maintenance port due to its dry-docking facilities. One of my favorite ships, the Zuiderdam, as I previously mentioned, is in port with us today getting a makeover for the upcoming 2023 World Cruise. Much to our surprise, we had a visit with the Zuiderdam’s Food and Beverage Manager, Mehmet and the Hotel General Manager, Andreas, this quick reunion really made our day. Tomorrow, we are back in Fort Lauderdale turnaround day and our Cape Breton friends Laura and her sister Bobbi will join us for a week.













































































No comments:

Post a Comment