Friday, July 14, 2023

Nanortalik, Greenland... Part 2 of 3

We rose very early this morning, sail in was short as we had already arrived. Today, was a bittersweet day…more about that later. We got the first tender ashore and walked to town. Nanortalik is situated on the coast of Labrador Ocean surrounded by high and beautiful mountains, which are the characteristics of the southernmost area in Greenland. This morning was a great day for reflection shots. Our first stop was the Nanortalik Tourism Service Office. Ann and Cathy were speaking with the owner Ellen Naesgaard Madden about a previous visit to Nanortalik and about me being born in Greenland. Immediately, Ellen remembered me and we had a great discussion about my past and birthplace Narsarsuaq. It was a very sweet moment and I was very touched when Ellen presented me with two books, ‘The History of Narsarsuaq’ and ‘Americans in Greenland in World War Two’. The bitter today…a photo of Ellen and myself taken on my iPhone went to the bottom of the sea when I dropped my phone getting back on the ship. Ellen’s shop has a wide selection of local art, various souvenirs, books, postcards and outdoor equipment. Economy of the town depends on the fishing and gold has been discovered in the town. We walked around town visiting the Lutheran Church. Just down from the church, the water drew me in and I was intrigued by the gorgeous reflection shots. With our visit to the Museum, we got closer to the history of the Vikings led by Erik the Red, after they made landfall on the coasts of southern Greenland more than one thousand years ago. This museum provides an understanding of the life of the Norse settlers and their activities in South Greenland with old colonial port area representing a well-preserved historic settlement. We headed back towards the ship and made a detour to a newer residential area of town…this gave us some great shots of the mountains. We got the tender back to the ship and unfortunately lost my phone climbing the stairs from the tender…things happen! Bidding farewell to my homeland, the rest of the day was spent on the ship.  We had an early sail away which got me back into action as there were plenty of icebergs begging to be photographed.  It was interesting, just like Prince Christian Sound, the fog just started rolling in as we departed…  It made for some interesting photos with the icebergs surrounded in fog.  After I get this blog posted, I’m hoping for a little rest before dinner.  Tonight, there is a President’s Club dinner... It will be a lovely affair, I’m sure!  Well, Europe is a wrap, two days at sea with our next stop being Corner Brook, Newfoundland. Loved our time in Greenland!














































































No comments:

Post a Comment