Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Cruising Prince Christian Sound, Greenland... Part 2 of 3

After departing Iceland on our journey from Europe to North America we arrived at Prins Christian Sound in Greenland. By the way Narsarsuaq, Greenland is where I was born. Wow, Wow, Wow! What else can I say, the scenery in the Prins Christian Sound is absolutely stunning. Due ice flow blockages on the east entrance to the Sound, the Captain diverted to the south entrance. On our approach to the sound, it was foggy but lifted very quickly to stunning sunny blue skies. The Prins Christian Sound is around 60 miles long and it is narrow, sometimes only 1,500 feet wide. The long fjord system is mostly surrounded by steep mountains in general reaching over 3,900 feet. Many glaciers go straight into its waters where they calve icebergs into the sound. High, barren and sharply defined peaks tower on both sides. The only indications of humanity to be seen are the Ikerassasuaq weather station and the small village of Appilattoq, housing approximately 100 people.  It is a breathtaking display of natural splendor in the severe, rugged sculptures of rock, ice and sea that is unique to the arctic realm. The transit of the Prins Christian Sound is one of the highlights of cruising in Greenland. My camera was busy all day long…  When I thought I was done, something cool would show up and out I went again snapping away.  The tally for the day, over 1100 photos, I could have done much more but I’m trying to behave myself.  Again, we were blessed with gorgeous weather. It showed how lucky we were when, as we departed the sound, the fog, once again, began rolling in…  Just loving Greenland!














































































No comments:

Post a Comment