Sunday, April 10, 2022

Fort Lauderdale, Florida....

What an amazing day…  Today wasn’t your normal turnaround day in Fort Lauderdale.  I had friends coming onboard and it was my birthday.  Once we got the Immigration process behind us, it was off to the Retreat.  Then the most interesting thing started to happen.  The ship’s officers and crew started stopping by to wish me a happy birthday and giving me a yellow flower because I’m know for my affinity for the color yellow in my beach attire.  I decided to treat myself and went in a 1:00 for a 75-minute hot stone massage….  It was wonderful.  I returned to the Retreat and the yellow flowers kept coming.  At 3:30, we all went in, Ann & Cathy told me to be ready at 5:30 and they would pick me up.  Once the ship started to depart, I went out for some sail away photos and ran into some old friends, Steve Dutton and Rod Presswich and their group.   It was a nice, albeit quick, reunion.  Went in showered and dressed and was ready to go at 5:30.   They took me to the Retreat where I was taken to a surprise gathering of the Captain Werner Timmers, Hotel General Manager, Wessel van Oorschot and his senior staff for a birthday celebration…  It was great! We had wonderful hors d’oeuvres and of course a diet coke for me…  They had created a wonderful video that began with the BB King’s All Stars band singing happy birthday, followed by birthday greetings for team members around the various departments onboard.   Just loved the cake that looked like my Nikon Camera…  The ship’s photographer was their so I may post some better photos later…  It really blew me away…  It was very kind of them to go to all this effort for my birthday…  After the party, it was off to the Pinnacle Grill with a birthday dinner with friends…  Ann & Cathy, Laura & Bobbi, Jane & Bill and Becky & Tyler were there….  It was a wonderful dinner which started off with another yellow flower…  It was just a magnificent day!!!!



















































7 comments:

  1. You deserved it all and more, now I know why the Rotterdam was riding a little higher yesterday! All the best!
    Eric and Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, thanks for sharing and many happy returns. Love the photos, especially of the Capitan “taking your photo”. Bill, NC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What a lovely event for a fantastic person! You are so loved!!! Best wishes my dear dear friend!!!

    Rie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely celebration for you . Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jeff, What a lovely birthday celebration and nice weather too! Love the camera cake, perfect for you. Thanks for sharing the photos. Sending you more birthday wishes. Easy for me to remember it as you share the day with my cat, Happy and mine is on the 11th. April is a good month to join the world. Have a wonderful year.
    BVH- Groton, Ct.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Jeff. Was supposed to be on this cruise with you, Ann and Cathy this week. However, I was on the Statendam and caught the Covid Virus on March 26th. I'm glad Cathy is better. I finally tested negative on April 9 but, of course, had cancelled the cruise. Sorry to have missed you all. Would have been nice to catch up. March was my sixth cruise since Sept. All on the NA except was on the Rotterdam in January. Knew I was in trouble when I got on the NS and masks were now only recommended. Of course, 90% did not wear them and ship had lots of passengers. Found out they had lots of cases when they did the testing for the B2B passengers. At that point they made masks mandatory but it was too late then. Will be on the Rotterdam on June 5-19 doing Norway and then will do the Oct. 15 150 Anniversary Cruise. Hope to meet up with you, Ann, & Cathy sometime soon. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jeff, Happy Belated Birthday!!! Just catching up and just loved reading and seeing the photos of your birthday cake. The chefs are soooo talented. Can't believe it is almost the end of your cruise! Where does the time go? I am going to miss your blog, I hope to be cruising again this coming season but, hesitate at the thought of being put off the ship and finding my way home if I contact Covid. Please continue blogging after you get home...we need to be weaned off slowly. Safe Journey Home....

    ReplyDelete