Saturday, December 16, 2023

Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage, San Juan, Puerto Rico...

We arrived in San Juan long before sunrise, so I did not take any sail in photos…disappointing as San Juan is a beautiful setting for sail in. We were required to clear Customs and Immigration as we were entering the United States for the first time since October 7, 2023. I headed to Fort San Felipe del Morro or El Morro, the most iconic fortification in the city built by the Spanish. At the fort, I met a really nice family from Washington, DC. It was a real highlight of my morning having a chat with them…  From El Morro, I wandered to La Perla, the historical shanty town along the city wall of Old San Juan. Some good Samaritans came out and gave me warning about where not to go…  Next, I hiked up to Fort San Cristobal, this fort defended the San Juan Bay from foreign attack. The vast esplanade is a great place to enjoy the beautiful view of Old San Juan. Wandering through Old San Juan, I met up with Ann and Cathy and we did some shopping…I bought myself a Christmas gift, 3 Tommy Bahama shirts to add to my collection. I returned to the ship and left the ladies shopping. Back on the ship, putting my new shirts away…I noticed there were two shirts the same…I rushed back to the store to exchange the shirt for another. Great day and San Juan never disappoints… Great scenery, over 10 miles walking and hot, sunny weather, what else does one need???  There is sail away event this evening followed by dinner in the Pinnacle with our dear friend Florin... San Juan is our last port on the Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage…the time has sure flown... What an adventure it has been…  Well done Captain Arne Smit & Florin Dragomir!!!  The next two days will be at sea before our arrival into Fort Lauderdale.

































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment