Sunday, February 20, 2022

3000 days and counting....

The last 10 days or so, have been pretty amazing....  Holland America really brought the love as I hit my 3000 days at sea with Holland America Line, words cannot describe how much I appreciate all the kindness they showed to me, but I'll try...  It all started toward the end of my journey aboard my beloved Zuiderdam.... Unbeknownst to me, on the last Gala Evening on the Zuiderdam, the Zuiderdam Team had something up their sleeve…  They kept asking us to come to the Dining Room one more time, which at first, we said No…  Then, our wonderful waiter, Tomo pleaded with the ladies, and we agreed we would go.  The only stipulation, for me, was I wasn’t going to wear a Tuxedo which is highly unusual for me on a Gala Night.  It turned out to be a fabulous evening…. First of all, they made a nice special extra spicy Asian meal for me which was delicious…. Then, when it was time for dessert, we were surrounded by some of our favorite Holland America Zuiderdam family members who presented the ladies with roses and then I got a medallion for my reaching 3000 days sailing with Holland America Line (in advance). I reach that milestone on the 16th of February next week after we transfer to the Rotterdam. It was such a touching moment, and these wonderful people will be greatly missed! A special thanks to Maja, Catherine, Komang, Daniel, George and of course, the best waiter in the world…. Tomo.



As a follow up to this wonderful evening, once on the Rotterdam, we had a dinner planned with friends.  On the evening of February 16th, my friends and I had dinner in the Tamarind Restaurant to commemorate 3000 days of sailing aboard Holland America Line ships.  Joining me in the celebration were Ann & Cathy Scott, Leslie & Handler Smith, John & Diane St John and Rich & Ginni Lyle.  We met for drinks before dinner and sat there relaxing, catching up on things after being apart for so many months of pandemic and just relaxing.  Seems like, shortly after we ordered dinner, around 7:30, we were all of a sudden surrounded by so many members of the Holland America Executive Team…  They came to congratulate my accomplishment and taking a lot of photos along the way…  They brought an amazing cake, decorated to celebrate the event which we certainly enjoyed after dinner.  Those well-wishers included the Hotel General Manager, Wessel Van Oorschot, Assistant Hotel General Manager, Dustin Coomer, Food Beverage Director, Christian Criens, Guest Services Manager, Kenneth Sodamin, Restaurant Operations Manager, Murat Kaya, Beverage Manager, Ivan Braganza, Executive Housekeeper, Dinakaran Appathurai, Executive Chef, Vijaya Jeevanandam, Front Desk Manager, John Piamonte, Tamarind Restaurant Manager, I Ketut Panca, Karya, Event Coordinator, Mitch Panuncio, HGM Executive Assistant, Ruth Francisco…  It was quite a group, it was indeed a very, very special moment for me…  I think my friends enjoyed it as well… 


On Friday, the celebration continued…  At the Mariner Recognition Event, they proceeded to give out medallions to Mariners who have achieved a new level, i.e. Gold Medallion for 500 sailing days etc.  The last person called up was me as the top Mariner on the ship.  Here is the introduction by Cruise & Travel Director Kimberly Wells, which brought me to the stage, it was very touching… “Our final awardee is sailing around the world, discovering new places, people and amazing things…. 1 Diet Coke at a time.  This sun loving adventurer is an avid and phenomenal photographer and several of his photos have been used by Holland America Line to showcase many different destinations of the world.  His knowledge of our vast ports around the globe is tremendous, having first cruised with us in Nov. 1988 onboard the old m/s Noordam.  He even played host to Gerald Bernhoft, HAL’s Director of the Mariner Society in Beijing…a trip which Mr. Bernhoft still talks about today as a truly exhilarating and memorable experience. Having sailed 17 Grand World Voyages and 2 Grand Voyages, this week he hit the 3,000 mark and he’s definitely still rockin’ it.  Please help us in congratulating our Elite President’s Club Member- Mr. Jeff Farschman” as I went up to the stage, Captain Werner Timmers along with Hotel General Manager Errol Nelson placed a “medallion” around my neck that said “3000”.  We were the joined by a host of Rotterdam Team members for a group photo….  This was such an unexpected series of events over the last few days will be a treasured memory for many years to come.  These are the kind of things which, in my view, makes Holland America Line a family that I’m very proud to be a part of for these many years….  Thanks!!!








 













3 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jeff!!!! Wow, that’s over 8 years! So happy Carolyn and I got to spend 30 of those 3000 days with you back in 2010. Sail on my friend! Bill&Carolyn, Lake Norman, NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, just catching up with your blog....wow, 3000 days sailing! Congrats! What a way to enjoy your retirement. With all the walking you do while in port, I know you will stay healthy and shoot for another 3000 days...we will stay tuned.

    ReplyDelete