Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Day 64 Avatoru, Rangiroa (Part 1 of 2)

What to do?  Here I was coming into Rangiroa for the first time and my plans to go snorkeling went bust when I fried my head. Rangiroa, unlike the other mountainous, volcanic islands in French Polynesia that we visited, is a coral atoll and very flat.  Not much happening here except for diving and snorkeling so I decided to walk to Avatoru.  I was told it was about 5 km to town which is just over 3 miles which is no big deal even in this heat.  I found the walk enjoyable, taking photos along the way.  I kept walking and walking and the town wasn’t in sight.  After walking over 6 miles, I stopped in a boutique and asked how much further it was and they told me it was another 7 km….  I decided at that point the best course of action was to turn around and head back.  The good news is that after walking around 15 iles for the day my knee is great.  I am sorry I missed the snorkeling, people said it was great.  I enjoyed our visit to Rangiroa…..  Next stop, Nuka Hiva!

No comments:

Post a Comment