Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Ringaskiddy, Ireland... A fabulous sail in!

The sail-in this morning was so photo worthy, I decided to post two separate blogs to capture all that this stop in Ireland had to offer.  It was a very, very cold sail into this picturesque area…  I was dressed warmly enough but I went without gloves which was a major mistake.  My hands were just killing me but I wasn’t willing to pop down to my cabin for a pair of gloves, afraid I might miss something!  Ireland did not disappoint and delivered on the variety of shades of green as we left the Celtic Sea and sailed into Cork Harbor.  Passing Spike Island, the site of a 7th century monastic settlement, a defensive fort in 18th century, and then a prison in the 1920s, known as Ireland's Alcatraz and Ringaskiddy’s Martello Tower.  On the western side of Cork Harbor, one of the largest harbors in the world by navigable area, lies Ringaskiddy. Formerly a fishing village, that has recently been developed into the second largest natural harbor port in the world. The view of Cobh was spectacular with the St. Coleman’s Cathedral as the backdrop to the colorful homes. I was just memorized and kept snapping photos…   Despite nearing freezing my hands to death, the sail in was simply fantastic!








































































































No comments:

Post a Comment