Saturday, March 28, 2020

2020 Grand South America & Antarctica Voyage, All good things must end....


Well, it’s been a while….  Sorry about that, I seem to have gotten caught up in Pandemic matters.  Since Alter do Chão we had our first trip hiccup relating to the Coronavirus when we were forced to miss Devil’s Island.  Our next stop was Barbados…..  I saw three large cruise ships filled with guests from Europe, the epicenter of the Coronavirus at that time.  I decided that the prudent thing was to stay onboard.  Things began to move quickly after that….  Long story short, we passed our last two ports and returned to Ft Lauderdale 2 days early.  In the end, I felt blessed to have had an amazing voyage on the Volendam with an incredible cadre of Officers and Crew. It will always be a voyage to remember! Once the voyage was ended early, I skipped flying home and drove with my friends Ann & Cathy as they made their way back to Canada…..  I was back home safely on the 21st and Ann & Cathy made it home on the 22nd….  My house was stocked by my sister Lisa and her husband Jim along with my lifelong best friend Randy.  I have been hunkered down since, ticking off one project after another….  So far, there aren’t enough hours in the day.  At some point, as the days turn into weeks and weeks into months, I’m sure that will change.  I hope everyone out there in staying home and protecting themselves and their families.  To my friends, Officers and crew that are still onboard the Holland America Line fleet, stay safe and I hope you make it back to your homes and families safely….  Praying for people around the world!

8 comments:

  1. Take care Jeff and yes doing our part up here in Canada...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Wishing continued good health to you and all the followers of this Blog. Thank you again for all your efforts on the blog to provide us such a wonderful journey to follow for so long. Hope to see you back at it once this passes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just viewed your update. Glad you are safe. New email address?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff,

    Glad to know you are doing well. Thanks again for all the interesting post to your blog during the voyage. We had to cancel our cruise from Venice to Israel. Maybe next year.

    Bill and Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to pass back in to this blog and leave a comment to say I hope you and your family are still faring well and are enjoying life during this time as I do appreciate your travel blog and the effort you put into it. Here is hoping we can return to better times soon with safe travels.

    Seadog67

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing OK, staying home and trying to stay healthy... Anxious to return to sea!

      Delete