Monday, March 4, 2013

Day 164 Makassar, Indonesia

Today was unbelievably hot!!!!!  We arrived bright and early at a new port for me, Ujung Pandang (Makassar).  I was pretty excited despite the intense heat.  We went out and hooked a taxi for 4-5 hours to visit 4 places.  First we went to the Paotere Anchorage on the city’s outskirts where there was a variety of small traditional boats including phinisi, lambo and baggo (Bugis schooners).  Nice visit….  Then it was off to the local markets, I was loving it!  The people were very friendly and even asked to have their photos taken.  I could of stayed a lot longer but the heat persisted and it was time to move on.  The next stop was at Karabasi Square for a little shopping before heading to Ft Rotterdam.  It was certainly a nice visit, in large part because the people were so nice but…..  the heat!

 

4 comments:

  1. The market looked wonderful. I wish I could find a place like that to shop myself. Such a variety of fruits and veggies along with a variety of colorful people!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful foto's from Indonesia Jeff, this part of the world is on my list for a long time. Waiting for more foto's , keep on going, regards Arda & Hermann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I've been following your blog for some time, thank you.
    The woman having a smoke is one of the best shots I've seen. You've got a work of art there. Lucid yet enigmatic, nice one dude!
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Market photos were awesome. But I was wondering just how HOT was it. Some of the men had on long sleeves and/or fleece jackets!

    ReplyDelete