Friday, December 22, 2017

Cuban Explorer, Day 1, Ft. Lauderdale

It was sad for us to leave the Koningsdam!  We had a magnificent time on a wonderful ship.  Overall the Koningsdam staff, food and treatment was exceptional.  We have moved onto a new adventure on the Veendam.  Finally, I am on my way to Cuba, a country that I have wanted to visit for many years.   I would have never visited Cuba when it was illegal and now that it is legal for US citizen’s to travel to Cuba, I am very excited about it.  My first time aboard the Veendam and what a change from the Koningsdam.  It will be difficult from this point forward to compare other ships in the Holland America fleet to the Koningsdam….it is an unfair comparison at best.  As Ann, Cathy and I wandered the ship we did run into some familiar faces, of particular note is one of our favorite bar servers, Enrico from the world voyages on the Amsterdam…it was great seeing him again.  Life boat drill was a challenge to get through, apparently a lot of the guests left their brains back at home. Sail away was fun, again catching up with old friends. One of the highlights of the day was catching up with Hermann and Ria, old friends of  ours and Aart and Ellen from Holland.  Unfortunately Aart and Ellen could not make the trip which was a major disappointment for all of us. Before you know it we were off for dinner.  The dinner and service in the dining room was great.  The only thing that took away from a pretty good day was the deep disappointment I had with an interaction with someone from Seattle Headquarters that I have known and trusted for several years. Oh well nothing lasts forever, all good things must come to an end...  I think it is time to reevaluate and assess my travel options for the future…I am already considering snapping my 12 year World voyage streak and cancelling the 2019 World voyage.  That being said….bring on Cuba!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jeff, Sorry to hear that your WC streak may end next year. I have followed your blog for many years and it greatly influenced our decision to book the 2018 WC. Looking forward to meeting you in January. Rockfan2 aka Margo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Jeff.

    Having been to Havana in May, I can suggest to you that you wear full soled shoes, not sandals.
    The terrain in very uneven and puddles of stagnant water were noted on my few walks.
    You'll love the island with its many parks and great scenery contrasting old and new.
    You'll see vintage 50's and 60's restored cars traveling next to the most modern of tour coaches....and...tuks! What an assortment of transportation!
    Have a great time on the MS Veendam.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Jeff....
    Looking forward to your Cuba photo blogs.
    Regarding your many years of WC's, I have a question. Since we seem to be avid Cunard folk because of the 'Queen's Room' ballroom dancing, we receive what seems to be a quarterly Cunard little magazine. Contained therein are their "Our Top Sailors". Among the listed is a fellow with 2,905 nights sailed. Jeff, I suspect you are right up there, too. Curious, how many years-at-sea have you endured?
    Oh, regarding the Seattle Headquarters person you got cross-threaded with.... if you do decide to cancel the 2019 WC, give that person the call and direct that person to initiate the cancellation for you, and request correspondence that it has been done.
    Or, better yet..... I suspect you know the HAL CEO, and unless he is your Seattle nemesis mentioned, request that he initiates the cancellation process. But, of course, you'd be cutting your ties forever. Salavee (sp?)
    Go have a massage and think about it for a month or so.
    Do enjoy Cuba. And, how's that new camera working out?
    T&C

    ReplyDelete