Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 70 Colombo, Sri Lanka (Part 1 of 3)

What a day!!  We sailed into Colombo to pretty overcast conditions.  It’s a pity because we have always had beautiful sunrises in the past.   I left the ship at 8:00 this morning with Ian, Carole, Cathy & Ann.  We hooked up with a taxi for the day and began our adventure.  I will be posting 3 sections to capture today’s wonderful day.  We began the day going to the Hindu Buddhist Colombo 2 Temple.  Not totally sure about the name because the communication skills with our driver was less than perfect at times.  That was thoroughly enjoyable, great start for the day.  Then it was off to the Gangarama Buddhist Temple.  We visited the large one and the one on Lake Beira.  Along the way, we encountered an elephant, some cobras & pythons, a monkey and some geese….  It made for a very interesting visit.  Then it was off to Victoria Park or Vihara Maha Devi Park.  Lovely place!  That is basically what is included in Part 1 of 3….  Stay tuned tomorrow for the rest.  Speaking of rest, I think I will post this and go to bed.

 

3 comments:

  1. I loved these photos! I'm interested now in going there myself. thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    I am a very good friend of your table mates Cathy & Ann. I really want to thank you for your wonderful blog as I have been able to follow the girls trip. I have enjoyed your wonderful photos and your commentary of the whole voyage. I envy you all but I have enjoyed following you all also. Please tell the girls happy belated birthdays and hello. Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. We,back in the states, just watched the Amazing Race on TV. They were filming in Colombo. Saw several of the places you visited. As always, enjoying your blog.
    Patricia and Jack Levings, ....we have been shipmates on some of your cruises..(World 2011)

    ReplyDelete