Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 11 Lake Titicaca (Part 1 of 3)

The day I had been looking forward to finally arrived at last…  It was my last full day in Puno and I was going out on the lake.  Here is a description of the day’s tour “Upon your arrival at Puno's lake port, a vessel will take you to the floating islands of the Uros. Uros are an ancestral society that inhabits a series of artificial islands built with totora, a reed that grows in the lake. The islands are built by weaving totoras in the places where they grow the thickest and form a natural layer. They build their totora houses over it and cook in the open air to prevent possible fires. After a one and a half-hour tour, you will continue your trip to the Taquile Island. Unlike other islands, inhabited by Aymara-speaking people in the lake, its residents speak Quechua. It was part of the Inca Empire and it is possible to note vestiges of said culture in their buildings. Nevertheless, when the Spaniards arrived, they forced its residents to get rid of their typical clothes and forced them to wear traditional farmers' clothes. Upon your arrival, you will receive a brief explanation on the island and will attend a cultural activity.”  It certainly met all my expectations!  It was a fantastic day with fantastic people….  It felt a bit strange walking along with the surface under your feet being a little spongy and moving up and down a some if a boat came by.  Very cool….  Inside the houses seems a little damp to me, I wonder why???  I was quite adventurous going out with one of the local men on a small boat made of woven totoras…..  very nice but a little edgy…..  Kept thinking about the camera taking a plunge.  I took a gazillion photos and because it was such a special day, I decided to do 3 blog postings…..  Truly spectacular day!

 

5 comments:

  1. Jeff, WOW !! Amazing photos!! Thank you. I am so glad you were able to make it and you were feeling better. I couldn't imagine missing these days. Beachlady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff,
    How truely interesting-loved the picture of young boy with the hat. So glad you were able to enjoy your sidetrip.
    BVH-Groton, Ct

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff....
    Totally enjoyed your photos of the Uros culture. Amazing. Wonder how the brilliantly colored clothing came to be? Glad your camera didn't hit the 'drink', either. Know what you mean about the keyboard keys all worn away; once we were on a weird Turkish (or maybe it was Greek) keyboard; had no idea where the "@" character resided. Enjoy.
    T&C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeff, thank you so much for your blog and pictures! This is the first time I have read your blog and I love it! Your pictures are very good and your eye is amazing! I think it is amazing the colors the people wear...so vibrant and full of color!!! I hope you are feeling better and appreciate all the effort you have gone to.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff,

    Thank you so much for the wonderful photos and descriptive notes of your tours. I am a friend of your tablemates Cathy & Ann so I have been following your blog. It is so informative. Thanks again and I hope you do not mind if I continue o follow your travels. Laura

    ReplyDelete