Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 4 Corner Brook, Newfoundland

It was a beautiful sail into Corner Brook, Newfoundland….  It was not looking promising when I went out at first light, fog everywhere and the fog horn blaring away.  It was a sad sight indeed.  I kept thinking, why did I get up at 4:45 am…..  to take photos for you folks and all I got was fog.  But wait….. it all changed rather quickly as the sun warmed the morning air.  The fog lifted and I was left with a magnificent display of rugged natural beauty as we sailed into the Bay of Islands and up the Humber Arm to Corner Brook.  I was no longer sorry for getting up so early.  Corrine & I left the ship as soon as we cleared and walked into Corner Brook.  The people were so warm and friendly, just as I experienced on our Canadian stops on the 2009 Voyage of the Vikings.  After we walked into town, we hooked a taxi up to the Captain Cook’s Monument where the viewpoint was fabulous, what a view of the city and the ms Maasdam, breathtaking.  Then we went back down the hill and took the Corner Brook Stream Trail to Glynmill Inn Pond.  It was a beautiful hike with a wonderful bonus at the pond, magnificent swans…. Nice!  After a short visit to the Glynmill Inn, we headed back to town and hooked the shuttle out to Corner Brook Plaza where we stopped for lunch before hiking to Murphy Square where we bought some things at Walmart and headed back to the ship.  I wanted to get back a little early so I could get the blog done before the cocktail party that we have been invited to by the Captain and Hotel Manager…..  Lovely, lovely day…. Tomorrow, Red Bay Labrador…. News Flash!!!!!  Red Bay cancelled due to unfavorable ice & fog conditions in the North Atlantic... haven't I seen that movie?????


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures, I love the colors of the flowers. Too bad about Labrador I was looking forward to seeing pictures from there. Oh well that means you'll have to go again! Travel safe.....Fran

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks almost like Norwegian landscape...
    Last year on VoV on the way back to Boston, the port of St Anthony was almost cancelled, due to ice in the harbour. Luckily the ice moved a bit and we sailed into the port in the thickest fog I have ever experienced. When the fog lifted and the sun came up we could see the hugest icebergs, awesome sight!
    (I recommend the tour to L'anse aux meadows, if you have not been there. This is where Leiv Eirikson and his fellows settled over 1000 years ago)
    Kirsti (Norway)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran,
    I went there in July 2009, http://amazingvoyages.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I should have know...I've been following you for several years:) Fran

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was disappointed you missed the stop too. Thanks for posting where we could see your stop there previously. Looked pretty cool with the icebergs just off shore. The picture of the ship looked pretty cool too.
    Carrie.

    ReplyDelete