Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Day 135 Cadiz, Spain (Part 1 of 2)

Today we entered the harbor of Cadiz, one of the oldest cities in Europe, under the cover of darkness….  Today I was heading out to Seville with my friends Mike, Janet, Ed & Becky.  As it turns out, I had many other friends on the same tour…. Great day!  Anyway, we got off the ship for our 9:00 tour to Seville and met our outstanding guide Debbie and our driver Javier.  We had a 1 ½ to 2 hour drive to Seville which was a pretty good drive.  Our first stops were at the pavilions built in 1929, the Plaza de America and the magnificent Plaza de Espana.  We were able to walk around at both locations to see the sights and snap a few photos.  Nice stops!  Then it was off to the Barrio Santa Cruz for another quick photo stop as we headed for one of our major stops of the day, the Alcazares Reales or the Alcazar Palace.  I have wanted to visit here for many years.  The it was off to the Cathedral… what a fabulous structure.  We also went up the tower for spectacular views of Seville.  A few of us then went with Debbie to the Metrol Parasol, also known as the “waffle”  This was a fantastic piece of “art”.  Again, the views from above were simply fantastic.  Then it was back to the ship,  Mike, Janet & I went into Cadiz for a while to cap off a great day.  Once again, I took many, many photos so I broke the blog into two parts today, see Part 2 of 2 for the complete collection for today.  In summary, we saw some magnificent sights and had a fabulous guide in Debbie…. Wonderful day!!!

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous architectural photos! Such beautiful tile work and decorative painting. This would be my kind of place....JL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jeff, I am so glad that you enjoyed Seville, it was a pleasure to be with such seasoned and appreciative travellers. What beautiful photographs. From everywhere! I feel like I have been on a whirlwind tour around the world. Absolutely fabulous contrasts. And I am pretty darn sure that the photo of the "waffle" will not be in the album of many.
    Take care, say hi to the others, and enjoy the crossing.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete