Monday, April 9, 2012

Day 126 Piraeus to Meteora
































































What an amazing day!  We arrived into the port of Piraeus with clear sunny skies and I was ready for my Greek Overland adventure.  We headed out on the long drive to Meteora under sunny skies which evolved into a huge storm... it rained and rained until.... at Meteora we even had snow.  I couldn't believe it, snow this time of year in Greece.  Global cooling is upon us.  Anyway, it was a very scenic drive passing through rich farmland and many olive groves.  When we arrived at the rock monasteries at Meteora I was pretty down about the weather.  It certainly wasn't ideal for photography.  I did the best that I could and under the harsh weather conditions I was surprised that some came out fairly well. We went up into two of the monasteries which were very impressive.  We are going to make another pass at the monasteries in the morning but only from below (weather permitting).  Then we will head to Delphi...

7 comments:

  1. The mist and clouds may not have been to your liking, but they make everything look so surreal and moody. Would have made a great backdrop for a movie. I like the effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jeff,
    Fab pics in your blog....really enjoying following you around the world!! Hope your "B-DAY" is a great one!! Hugs W3

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing place!! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter the weather conditions, you photos are wonderful!

    Would you please share what/which lens/lenses you are using for most of these. TY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics! I think that sometimes the colors are more vibrant when it's cloudy out, and you see more contrast than when the sun is beating down.

    Thanks for sharing, I follow your blog every year and really enjoy it!

    Sue in Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning pics Jeff. You have just added another destination on my "bucket list".
    Thank you once again
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeff,
    I loved the photo of the large vases, delicate coloring and great contrast. Those monastaries look as if you'd have to be part bird to reach them!
    Hope your 3 day adventure meets your expectations and you have a lovely birthday.
    BVH-Groton, Ct

    ReplyDelete